Tuesday, 8 April 2014

Kate Moss x Topshop 2014


Kate Moss' latest collection for Topshop was unveiled today, and because this is the internet, and the internet is a place for judging (joking, kind of), I decided to categorise each piece as Good, Bad, or Ugly. Obviously everything is subject to personal opinion, but I feel the collection is very hit and miss. Some pieces I adore and I want RIGHT NOW (anything pajama-style), but the suede fringed jackets and boho blouses belong back on Sienna Miller or the Olsens circa 2004 or a middle-school pirate costume.

The Good

If I could own any single piece of the collection it would be the paisley palazzo pants. They fit my preferred aesthetic of anything 70s inspired or colourfully printed on a black background. I also love the interesting neckline of the black playsuit, as sheer fabrics used in different ways are very current right now, and the gold tassel dress as I love the 1920s feel and the fact it looks like something Taylor Swift would wear.
The Bad

While I don't hate these items, some of them look so dated, and others (such as the gold satin maxi dress) would probably only look good on Kate Moss herself. I think I had a camisole identical to the black, star print one a couple of years ago when stars everywhere were a thing. The paisley, midi slip dress is also so similar to one from her 2008 collection, which I would understand if Topshop were deliberately re-working and re-issuing a particularly beautiful or popular item, but to me this dress is simply a lesser version of Zara's AW13 floral slip dresses.

The Ugly

Feel free to disagree with me, but I really really hate these items. The suede shorts and jackets are so costume-like, but they'll probably be popular among the festival crowd hoping to emulate Kate Moss' Glastonbury style. I'd also love to burn the lemon yellow dress, copied from inspired by a vintage dress Moss wore in 2003. To me it looks like an ugly dress a bride would make her bridesmaids wear so they don't upstage her, but it's open to debate.
What do you think of the 2014 Kate Moss x Topshop collection? I'd love to hear your thoughts so leave your comments below!

All images via the Vogue website. The collection is available from April 30th.

2 comments:

  1. gosh, there are some really weird pieces in her collection. too bad. :-/

    kissboombang, lilly.
    Bonnie & Kleid

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gold fringe dress is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I read and value every comment, don't be shy x